Slip and Fall Lawyer New Orleans, LA
If your loved one is a resident in a nursing home, or you are preparing to move them into a long term care facility, know that slip and fall injuries are an ever-present concern. Because the vast majority of residents are elders, there is a high probability that if they fall to the ground or onto a hard object that their bones will fracture or break. This is a painful injury for anyone, but for those whose health is already at risk due to age, broken bones can also lead to life-threatening complications. To minimize the risk of a slip and fall accident occurring, prevention is key. Family members, staff, and the resident themselves should understand the common causes of slip and fall injuries, and address those concerns before they lead to an accident. With that said, even residents of the most safety-conscious facilities can slip and fall. In the event that your loved one suffers injury while residing at a nursing facility, please connect with a slip and fall lawyer New Orleans, LA residents trust as soon as you possibly can. Working with an experienced New Orleans, Louisiana slip and fall lawyer from the Reddy Accident Law will allow you to understand whether this injury could have reasonably been prevented and whether your loved one is entitled to compensation for the harm they have suffered.
Hazardous Floor Conditions
If the flooring of the nursing home has a hazardous condition, it can lead to a slip and fall accident.
- Torn or frayed carpeting can cause someone to slip and fall
- Slippery or wet flooring can cause someone to lose their footing
- Objects in the way such as trash, boxes, personal items, or anything else can cause a slip and fall accident, particularly if the lighting is poor or the resident has compromised vision
- Broken steps, hazardous walkways, or stairs that are not built to code can lead to a slip and fall accident
- If exterior sidewalks or steps are not cleared of snow and ice, they can cause slip and fall accidents
Overall, nursing homes are obligated to ensure that conditions are safe for their residents. In the event that a nursing home fails in its duty and a resident suffers harm, an experienced New Orleans, LA slip and fall lawyer should be contacted promptly.
Dizziness or Instability While Walking
These are often symptoms of underlying medical issues. In many instances, if not most, dizziness and instability can be addressed and treated. The results are twofold: improved mobility and reduced risk of falling.
- Overmedication, the wrong type of medication, or medication side effects can cause a person to experience dizzy spells, lightheadedness, or trouble walking due to instability. Your loved one should be examined by their physician. Make sure the doctor understands that your elder has fallen or is at risk of falling because of issues maintaining their balance. If the doctor determines that the medication may be to blame, they may change the dosage amounts or replace it with an alternative medication.
- Certain health issues present symptoms that include mobility issues or a lack of coordination. Your loved one’s physician can perform a thorough exam to determine if there is an underlying health condition causing these symptoms.
If your loved one was injured while in the care of a nursing home, contact an experienced New Orleans, LA slip and fall lawyer to learn what legal options are available to your family at this time. Speaking with a lawyer doesn’t obligate you to pursue legal action, but it will allow you to make an informed decision about your legal options.